Sunday, July 1, 2012

My New Home

The journey to Israel allowed me the opportunity to experience the Istanbul airport for five hours. Although an unplanned adventure, I was reminded that I was traveling to the Middle East. Once I arrived at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv I instantly felt at home. As a Jewish girl from Eugene, the opportunity to witness families and friends reuniting in Hebrew is magical. Although my fourth arrival in ha'aretz (lit. the land, refers to Israel) I still felt my heart swell with emotion, connection and pure excitement. The minute our car exited the parking lot I felt the same amazement I have felt upon every arrival as I gazed over the rolling hills of white stone, olive trees and terraced landscape.

Here I am standing on the back balcony of my cousins house in Efrat.
The first few days I spent at my cousins in Efrat, with one day running errands in Jerusalem and a lovely Shabbat with other visiting cousins. I feel so blessed to have been welcomed by my family. Not only do I have a warm home and loving support, but I also have sweet children to play with, not to mention guidance in all areas- cell phone advice, slang words, great Israeli wine and so much more!

Toda raba raba raba
(thank you very very very much) to the Abrams family!


Today has been my first full day in my apartment, and tonight will be my first night sleeping here. I continue to explore drawers, discovering cleaning supplies and random objects. I have cleaned out my aron (closet) and the bathroom, and am slowly finding places for my many belongings... of course I am bound to rearrange everything in a few days.

My room is incredible. One word: mirpeset (balcony). Yes I have a balcony off my bedroom. A ceiling fan in each room keeps the place very cool and there is central air conditioning for the hot days. Currently I am here with Devin, who is subletting a room for July, and guess what? He is from good ol' Eugene! Small world we live huh? In a few weeks Laurie will arrive, who will be with me for the year, and then Elli arrives in early August, who will also be here for the year. They are both doing the year long program at Pardes. I look forward to making a home here and cooking many new things in my fabulous kitchen. Pictures to come!

Tomorrow I will venture to the market with my trusty guide Rina and buy some staples and fresh produce. The cucumbers here are the most amazing things you've ever smelt or eaten. And the mint, and the pita, and the hummus- I could go on and on. This week will be spent setting up a bank account and cell phone, exploring my neighborhood and walk to school, and acclimating to my new home. I already am feeling at home, although I miss Eugene and everyone so very much. I cannot wait to start my classes at Pardes next week. Words cannot describe how excited (and a little nervous) I am to begin this journey of the Educators Program.

For those who are unclear of what I am doing, watch this video. It is an incredible opportunity for me and I cannot believe I get to immerse myself in Jewish learning every day! So my timeline is two years studying here for my Masters of Jewish Education, with an internship in the states each spring, and then three years teaching Judaic studies at a Jewish day school in the states. There are still many details to clarify and questions to be answered with regards to my year long classes and internships.

I look forward to sharing my journey with you all and invite you to comment, ask questions and request stories along the way. By the way, I chose my title Learning In The Orchard because one definition for pardes is orchard, and so I begin my learning in the orchard...  

B'shalom (in peace) 
Cara

4 comments:

  1. So nice to see that you have arrived safely and been welcomed by the Abrams mishpukah! Give my love to all and enjoy your time in your new home. We love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise, I am delighted you have arrived and have such a lovely place to live. I loved reading your blog. My heart is with you. Have fun while doing such great and important work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls are excited to follow your journey too. We'd love to see photos and hear stories about your food adventures!

    ReplyDelete